Mental health problems range from mental stress and strain to severe disorders. Mental health is as important as physical health and spiritual health to our overall well-being.
The Province of Manitoba's mental health services include:
- promoting good mental health
- identifying and intervening early in mental illness
- helping people living with mental health disorders
For mental health crisis and non-crisis resources in your area of the province, click here.
These services are provided through regional health authorities, the Selkirk Mental Health Centre and self-help and family support organizations.
If your family doctor or Employee Assistance Plan refers you, Manitoba Health pays for the services of a psychiatrist. To find a psychiatrist in your area contact your local regional health authority or ask your family doctor.
For more information: Mental Health Services
Promoting Mental Health IACB Statement toward a Shared Medical and Christian Ethical Framework. To view the document click HERE
Recommended resources and information for persons with depression, for caregivers, family, friends, and for the larger caring community.
- The City of Winnipeg's list of Crisis Services and Support Lines - click here.
- Various websites and reading material - click here.
- Self-Help Organizations - click here.
- "What Is Depression?" TED Talk with Helen M. Farrell - click here.
- Covid19 Providers Mental Health Resources
General Help Lines
- Crisis Services Canada Telephone: 1-833-456-4566
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health: Telephone: 1-800-463-2338
- Wellness Together Canada
Adults: Text WELLNESS to 741741
Front Line Workers: Text FRONTLINE to 741741
- Kids Help Phone: Telephone: 1-800-668-6868
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line: Telephone: 1-855-242-3310
- Trans LifeLine: Telephone: 1-877-330-6366
- Strongest Families Institute: Telephone: 1-866-470-7111
Managing your Mental Health for you and those you care about
Presentation of March 10, 2021: Tips for someone with mental health issues
Audio file from Zoom presentation of March 10, 2021
Managing your Mental Health - For You PPT Presentation
Presentation of March 24, 2021: Tips for those who know someone with mental health issues
Managing your Mental Health - For someone you care about PPT presentation
Depression is the leading cause of disability in the world
In the United States, close to ten percent of adults struggle with the disease. But because it’s a mental illness, it can be a lot harder to understand than, say, high cholesterol. Helen M. Farrell examines the symptoms and treatments of depression, and gives some tips for how you might help a friend who is suffering.